Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Happy 107th Birthday, Dr. Seuss and other literacy stuff :-)

Today would have been Dr. Seuss' 107th birthday! We had a fun day celebrating by wearing Cat in the Hat hats, making birthday cards featuring each child's favorite Seussical character ("zower in the shower" from There's a Wocket in my Pocket was the class favorite), reading books written by Dr. Seuss, and watching a video of Hop On Pop. I am featuring his books all week long, and the kids love it! It is a terrific author spotlight incorporating rhyming and reading with expression. They are really beginning to understand how much fun books can be when you read with feeling!


In February, we have been working on reading grade level texts and independently taking Accelerated Reader (AR) comprehension tests on them. The babies think they are hot stuff getting on a computer and making "5 out of 5 and 100%!"



Another activity we have had fun doing is working with magnetic letters on the ELMO. I call each child up and assign them a sight word. They rummage through my letter box to find the correct letters to spell their word. This is a hard game for some of them, but they always work hard to figure out the correct answers!

First try to spell "of"

2nd time's a charm!



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I posted this on my blog, but I know sometimes it is hard to get back and check all those messages. Here is a copy:
---------------------------------
I really like the Reading Street program- but I teach first grade so my stuff is a little different. It has three leveled readers and lessons for each day, so it really covers differentiation well. Overall, the stories are pretty good. There are more than enough resources to teach each day. It starts with a morning message, followed by a big book/song/poem, phonemic awareness activities, building background audio cd, phonics skills, word wall activities, grammar....
It comes with 3 workbooks for the kids. I pick and choose what we can fit in from it. The center activities are probably the weakest area, and they are still pretty good. I use The Daily 5 with Reading Street, and they fit together perfectly. I will be doing a post about The Daily 5 soon.
Our K teachers weren't crazy that some of the books were kind of a stretch when teaching letters. Don't quote me on this one, but I think when they were teaching the letter A the big book that went with it was about Oceans or something like that- it didn't seem to match up exactly.

Overall, SF Reading Street is a solid, research based program. I think you will be pleased! :)

Post a Comment